Diabetes is on the rise, with more than 415 million people worldwide having it. Sadly, many do not even realize they have diabetes. There are ways that one leads a healthy lifestyle with diabetes. One of the best ways is to focus on diet. The Keto diet and diabetes often go hand in hand for a form of treatment.
What is the Keto Diet?
The keto diet is a diet that focuses on high-fat with plenty of protein while maintaining low carbohydrates. This diet burns fat fast in the body instead of carbs. Easily digestible carbohydrates, such as sugars, white bread, and soda are not allowed on the diet plan. As carbohydrates need to be watched, the keto diet and diabetes can work very well together.
Advantages For Using the Keto Diet
There are many advantages to using the keto diet. Many turn to this diet as it is a fast and effective way to lose fat. The top advantages for the keto diet include:
* Helps you lose excessive weight
* Can improve Glycemic control in those persons with diabetes
* Reduce any chance of diabetes in those individuals that have not been diagnosed with it yet.
* It can help to lower your blood pressure.
Five Tips For the Keto Diet and Diabetes Sufferers
The following tips can prove to be very successful for those that have diabetes.
1. Prep your meals. This is a huge time saver for the week and can save one from disaster. By meal prepping on Sunday, you know exactly what you are having the rest of the week. Meals will be planned out and prepped for you to cook and eat.
2. Increase your physical activity. This will allow you to burn even more calories. Consider taking a walk on your lunch break, playing a game of basketball with friends, or going jogging with a coworker.
3. Be sure you are getting enough protein. Hard-boiled eggs, tuna, peanut butter, beef jerky, chicken breast, and cottage cheese are all excellent choices to add to your diet to increase your protein intake.
4. Consider a keto diet pills. These pills can help by blocking carbs and reducing your appetite while complimenting a keto diet.
5. Add coconut oil to your diet. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides that absorbed by the liver to be used immediately for energy. Start slowly when using coconut oil as it can cause stomach cramping. It is best to start with one teaspoon per day and work gradually up to two to three tablespoons per day within a week. You can use coconut oil for cooking, or you may add it to your coffee to make “Keto Bulletproof Coffee.” Add one tablespoon of coconut oil to one cup of coffee along with one tablespoon of butter. Use an immersion blender to blend it well, as oils do not mix well with water. This can provide you with energy all morning long.
The keto diet and diabetes can work very well together to be healthy. By following the above five tips, you can be sure that the diet will work for you